WorldExecutivesDigest | Need a personal injury lawyer in California? Check these pointers! | Following an accident that happened because of another person’s fault, you should consider hiring an attorney. While personal injury laws are meant to help victims, many end up with no or a small settlement following a mishap. Even if you understand the basic personal injury laws in California, working with a top law firm, such as Caruso Law Offices, P.C., can help. In this post, we are sharing a few pointers for finding a good lawyer for your case.
- Make your list of potential lawyers. As in any profession, there are good and bad lawyers practicing personal injury law. If you can ask around for references, that’s always an advantage, but there are also online directories that can help. It is wise to have a list of at least four to five law firms or attorneys that you would want to meet with and discuss the case further.
- Find out about the lawyer’s work profile. Some injury lawyers are great at handling auto accident claims but may not have worked on as many truck accident lawsuits. Before you hire a lawyer, check the typical cases they handle and if they have worked on claims and lawsuits that are similar to yours.
- Know the attorney’s experience. Because injury lawsuits are often settled through negotiation, only a few lawyers have trial experience. You may not expect the case to go to court, but if that happens, having a skilled lawyer will help. Ask the attorney how frequently they go to trial with personal injury lawsuits.
- You don’t have to pay a fee immediately. Most lawyers don’t charge a fee to evaluate cases, and even when an attorney takes up the matter, they will not ask for an upfront fee. The standard norm for injury lawyers is to take a contingency fee, which is a percentage of the settlement. If you don’t win, the lawyer doesn’t get their fee. Beware of lawyers who want to talk about their prices right away.
- Always check reviews. While law firms are usually open to sharing references, you should do your homework before hiring a lawyer. Online reviews posted on Google and other sites can help you sort injury lawyers. You can mark the attorneys who have positive feedback and excellent reputation.
You have limited time to file an injury lawsuit in California, and it is best to engage a lawyer soon after the mishap to get help in time.