WorldExecutivesDigest.com | The Guide to Selecting the Perfect Horse Dressage Girth | There are times you might get confused while layering your horses with different outfits and boots. One of the biggest challenges you might face is selecting the best horse dressage girth for your beast. There are numerous options available in the market, but the goal is you need the ideal girths for enhancing your horse’s performance and saddle fit.
As per various latest research and technologies, equipping your horse with the perfect girths and cinches will impact your horse’s comfort level, performance, and overall wellbeing. So, without further ado, this is our comprehensive guide to selecting the ideal horse dressage girth for your horse. Let us get started.
Which Are the Different Types of Horse Girths Available In The Market?
Below, we are mentioning a quick overview of the different kinds of horse girths.
- Anatomic – This type of girth widens near the belly and tightens near the elbows, freeing your horse’s shoulder movements.
- Western-Style Roper – This is a western-style girth, quite expensive, and having a diamond-type structure that offers enhanced stability to the saddle.
- Straight (Standard Girth) – Having an equal structure from top to end, suitable for most types of horses. Nevertheless, for a horse who is bulky it is suggested to go for the anatomic girths.
How Should Be the Length of Your Horse Girths?
For taking the measurements, you require a basic fabric measuring tape, don’t take the measurements in centimetres. The sizes of the cinches and horse dressage girth girths come with two inches, like your jeans size. Here are some simple steps for taking accurate measurements.
- Take the measuring tape and place it near the billet straps located near the right-hand side of the saddles.
- Now, take the help of someone for holding the tape to note down the measurements.
- Place the measuring tape near the girth line (the largest part near the ribs) to the middle billet holes on the left-hand side.
Whether you are planning to buy western or English-style horse dressage girth, you only have to follow the steps mentioned above.
Which Are the Best Material Options For Horse Girths?
All the materials are classified into two different types – synthetic (artificial) and natural. Regardless of whatever kind of material you prefer, the horse dressage girth should be flexible, durable, soft, and long-lasting. Remember, the girths will always be wet with your horse’s sweat; hence, you can’t go for cheaper materials. There is a high chance for your horse to get infected by bacteria then. Below, we’re mentioning some key points of all the material options.
- Cotton– The cotton material is super pocket-friendly, having the ability to soak moisture and sweat quickly. However, cotton will get harder over time and will lose its natural properties. If your only preference is the cotton material, combine it with rayon.
- Synthetic Rubber – This material has non-slip properties, and it’s very easy to clean. Some horse types are not comfortable with this material. Synthetic rubber cannot withstand heavy usage; it can crack easily.
- Angora goat Hair – Angora Goat Hair, also known as Mohair string, is a durable, stronger, and breathable material. Nevertheless, Mohair string is an expensive material that is also easy to wash and get dirty quickly.
- Sheepskin – Sheepskin is pocket-friendly and one of the softest materials on this list. It is not a durable material and can get stiffed and harder over time.
- Nylon – Nylon material is 100% washable and durable. This is a long-time investment for sure but it cannot hold sweat and moisture. Your horse will not be able to wear it for a long time at one go.
Now, you are all set for purchasing the best horse dressage girth that suits your requirements and budget. Considering the factors and pointers mentioned above, you won’t get confused next time while buying girths for your horses.
If any passionate horse keeper wants to share some more tips!